The sustainability and success of a county party is dependent on robust membership. Membership provides the financial backbone for the party and allows us to deliver our mission and purpose.
When you join the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, you automatically become a member of your county party, the state party, and the national party. Party membership means you can vote for or run for party leadership positions and you’re eligible to be a delegate to state and national conventions.
Becoming a member of the Democratic Party gives you a say in the party’s platform, its leadership, and its agenda. No longer will you have to wait for an election to have your voice heard in our political process.
How To Join
Joining the Democratic Party is easy. All you need to provide is your name, address, phone number, and occupation. The annual membership fee for an individual is $25, though you may join for as little as $10.
There are several ways to become a member:
- Online through the Democratic Party of Wisconsin (preferred)
- In person at a monthly meeting of the Democratic Party of Outagamie County
- Via mail by sending a check and the following information to the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: name, address, phone number, email, county party and occupation.
Why Membership Matters
A note from our chair about membership
Frequently I meet people who say to me, “Oh, I’m already a member. I vote Democrat,” or “I give to the Democrats, I’m a member.” While that’s not the same as joining the party as an actual member of the state and local party, it can be confusing for everyone, even the most politically engaged!
As party members, it is our collective responsibility to grow the party. When is the last time you invited a friend to come to a meeting or asked someone to join by signing up as a member? We should all be doing this with like-minded friends. As we approach many important elections, we need people to join, become involved through volunteerism, and help fund our efforts through their membership contributions.
Once you start asking people to join, they are going to ask you why they should! Do you have a good answer? Here’s some help.
- Financial Support- Membership dues provide financial support for things like candidate support, campaign office expenses, event fees (so we can be visible in the community), and communicating what Democrats believe in.
- Community- Becoming an official part of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin brings you instant connections. You are part of something bigger than yourself, and you will be able to meet and work with others who share your values and your concerns.
- Influence- Each county party in Wisconsin is allotted a number of delegates who have a vote in determining the state party officers, party platform, and resolutions. The more members we have, the more delegate slots we are assigned, and the more influence we have as a county on how things are run at the state level.
- Belief- This one probably seems strange, but when people join the local county party it shows they have faith in the work we are doing locally. They support the unpaid efforts of the officers who put in countless hours, the volunteers who invest personal time, and everyone who is contributing in their own unique ways